Tabs

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

a day with the parents

We spent the day at Ben's parents house.  It's so perfect, especially on a cloudy (read: smoky), wet and rainy day.





About got stung for that one.


Heirloom tomatoes.  Almost the end of tomato season, isn't it?


Kit, getting her ears scratched.  So excited and eager to be touched, love her.  She couldn't stand still long enough for me to get any good pictures, all my photos ended up like fuzzy balls of whirring energy captured on film.


This one's blurry, but it's the best I've got.  I love her sweet, furry face.







Yesterday was the first rain we've gotten in... I don't even know how long.  It feels like all summer long and that's probably a pretty fair guess.  I loved it, even though it wasn't much.  It cooled things off, washed a little (a little) of the smoke out of the air, and made things smell like fall.  Leaves fell, even.  The courtyard outside Ben's office window is strewn with a speckling of Japanese maple leaves, all red and yellow.

I miss Korea in the fall.  The hillsides turned bright red when it got colder and the snow.  If only they'd had snow plows and shovels...  As it was, the snow turned to ice in a matter of hours and everyone spent the next weeks slipping along the sidewalks, often falling flat on our backs.  Once -- only once -- our building manager got out a big pick axe thing and chipped away at most of the ice outside our little building.  Laborious task, though, and not particularly worth it in the end.  Ours was the only ice-picked patch of street in the whole neighborhood, I imagine.

Looking forward to more fall days and wooly sweaters and socks.  Right now, it's cool enough inside that I get to huddle under a wool blanket my Mom made for us last Christmas.  Now, all I need is some tea.

This will be posted after the fact, but today (the day I'm writing this is Monday), my sister and nephew fly in from Australia.  And with the way the seasons work, they will get two fall/winters right in a row.  I don't know if I could take that, but she says she's excited for snow since no matter how cold Australia gets, I don't think they're prone to many snow days.  Plus, it means I get to knit little baby things.

Hoping to get lots of pictures of the sweet nephew, my sister and (soon!) the new baby!


Is it looking like fall where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment